1 Large swede peeled and cut into chunks
4 Large potatoes (dry variety preferably e.g. Maris Piper, King Edward, Rooster) peeled and cut into chunks
Vegetable Oil – for greasing pan
18 Thin slices of smoked streaky bacon
Handful of chopped chives
Oven Temp – 220 celsius (200c for a fan oven) or Gas mark 7
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for about 15 minutes until cooked through, then drain.
- Return the pan to the heat and shake the pot over the heat to get as much moisture out of the pot as possible.
- Remove from the heat, add half the butter and mash with a potato masher
- Season with salt and pepper and add the chives
- Microwave the swede, slice open and remove all flesh, add the swede to the potatoes and mash through.
- Chop 9 slices of the bacon into small pieces and dry fry in a pan until crispy. Mix this through the mashed potato and swede.
- Grease an oven proof dish or frying pan with the oil and place the remaining bacon strips in this, all meeting in the middle.
- Press the vegetable and bacon mixture into the pan, place the left over butter on the top and place in the oven for about 40 mins.
- Remove from the oven turn out onto a plate or board and cut into wedges.